This is a detailed how-to for filling out the character bio form/application. It is a long document designed to help you! Please read it carefully!
- It is easy to click off the bio form and accidentally close it. We recommend writing out the long bits in a word doc of some kind (or text because of the auto-line spacing issues) and copying it in, format it, and SAVE OFTEN. Personally, I complete fields 1-15, then do a copy/paste/save on the editor fields.
- Yes, some of the bio fields are redundant. This is because there are limitations on how and where they can be displayed.
- We do not use separate plotters and shippers. This bio is it! You do not have to write a novel, but keep in mind that this is where others will look to decide whether or not to plot with your character.
- Editor Fields (large, free-form fields with the WYSIWYG editor): These automatically double space when you hit enter so do not add a space between your paragraphs. Looks icky in the editor, but works right when displayed.
- You may add images into the editor fields, but please keep the sizes reasonable. You can do some limited formatting once an image is uploaded by double-clicking on the image.
- NPC Bios: Unless it is a shared NPC, you only need to fill out fields 1 - 15 and add any game-relevant information in the other fields.
- Game Relevant: You will see this term used often. What it means is that you only need to put information that is relevant to this RPG and to other Players looking to RP with your character.
- N/R: Instead of N/A for not-applicable, please use N/R for not-relevant. This might change and you can update it later.
- Spelling, grammar, punctuation counts! No text speech!
The Bio Form
Name: First and Last or Middle and Last. This is the name that will appear on your character's posts and in the Character Index.
Title: This is misleading! Please put the character's place of employment here or, if unemployed, something like Career Challenged, Heiress and Party Girl.
Avatar: We prefer living people (celebrities), but well-done, realistic artwork is acceptable. No anime!
Signature: Yes, characters can have their own individual signatures. Please limit the size to a max of 700x250. No advertising allowed in character signatures.
Role: This is a dropdown, but it is important because it is the guideline for how much info is needed in the rest of the bio.
- Main Character: These are primary characters that will be written and plotted with most. There really should be no fields listed as N/A or N/R!
- Supporting Character: These are like recurrent secondary cast members on a television series. You can get away with less information in each field, but there should be none listed as N/A or N/R.
- NPC: These are played only by you, put in as much or as little information as you need to keep track of them and write them consistently.
- Shared NPC: An NPC you created but have shared with others. These characters need a bit more detail so the other writers know how you want them portrayed.
Playby: The name of the celebrity you are using as your character's avatar or state Original Artwork and add the artist's name in your Player Notes at the end of the bio.
Full Name: The character's full, complete name (First, Middle, Last; i.e. David Robert Jones, not David R. Jones).
Goes By: Nickname that everyone knows and uses. This can be a short form of first name, their middle name, a true nickname like Weasel, etc.
Profession: What type of job they do (law enforcement, military service, hair stylist, heiress, etc.).
Rank/Title: Job rank or title (Lieutenant, Captain, Associate, Manager, CEO, Doctor, etc.)
Birth Date: MM/DD/YYYY
Relationship: Relationship status. This is a drop down list, choose one.
Height: List in feet / inches (example: 6' 4")
Hair Color: Base hair color only such as brown, dark brown, brunette, blond, etc. Keep it to one or two short words. Details can be added in Physical Description. This is the character's hair color, we do not care if it is different from the playby's.
Eye Color: Base eye color such as brown, dark brown, green, blue, etc. Keep it to one or two short words. Details can be added in the Physical Description field. This is the character's eye color, we do not care if it is different from the playby's.
Physical Description: Upload a portrait style avatar of your character (250px X 350px preferred). This field is for describing the physical details of your character. If their eye color and hair color differs from the playby's, hair style, eye color details such as flecks of color, shades or variations. Also, their personal style, grooming, clothing, etc. If there are no significant differences from their avatar's to document, upload the portrait image and go to the next field.
Character Traits (aka Personality Traits): List your character's core personality traits and weight them with a (+) for positive, (-) for negative, or (+/-) if the trait can be both a negative and a positive. Add any details that everyone else needs to know or write an overview of the character's personality below the list. Note: This is also where you would detail gender identity, sexuality information, etc.
- Loyal (+/-): Character Name is fiercely loyal to the people in their lives. Unfortunately, this can lead them to being blind to that person's faults and unforgiving of perceived betrayal.
- Brave (+)
- Sensitive (+/-)
Employment: Employer's name, details such as position, how long employed, former jobs (if game-relevant), etc. Include any professionally-related skills and education or training.
Expertise: Non-job related skills, abilities, hobbies and interests. List, describe, have fun!
Aliases/Nicknames: Any aliases, code names, call signs, or additional nicknames used in the past. Can list this field as N/A or N/R.
Residences: Current place of residence (make up an address or find one using Google Maps or Zillow, we do not police it. Main story takes place on Kodiak Island, Alaska). Please include Place of Birth if different from current residence.
Kith and Kin: List any game relevant relatives (at least parents and significant other) and in-game connections (friends, foes) that you have arranged with other players (our version of a Shipper).
Life Events: In Timeline format, please list major life-impacting events in the character's life. Education, marriages, jobs, etc. Where they were and when they were there. This can be updated as the character is played and develops.
Example >> This is just an example. How you format yours, as long as we can see dates easily, is up to you. You may write a full history if you like. Just make sure the dates are easy to see.
May 9, 1960 (a. 0) << this is the date and character's age.
John Ryland was born to Mary and George Ryland in Louisville, KY.
1980 (a. 20) >> or 1982 to 1984 (a. XX - XX)
- Enlisted in the United States Marine Corps
- Completed basic training at Paris Island
Character Notes (Optional): Anything you want us to know about the character that was not covered elsewhere goes here or use for things you would like to keep track of such as pet names, etc. You may list this field as N/A.
Player Notes (Optional): Add anything you would like to keep track of or tell us about the character from an OOC POV. What you are looking for regarding character relationships, plots, etc. This is our version of a Plotter.
Edited by Stormwolfe (show revisions)