• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wayfarer

Free Oh Lord, Free at Last

• With: Steph, Kat, Lucian, JD, anyone else
  • When: May 2017
  • Time: Late Afternoon

content-divider.png

Soon after her new lawyer left the interrogation room, Stephanie was informed she was not to be charged with anything and was now free to go. She had been quite relaxed the whole time anyway because she had been confident they had nothing on her. She just hoped her newest employees, those McLeod brothers appreciated how she had went to bat for them. She could have made it much harder on them had she wanted to be a bitch. Lucky for them though, they weren't paparazzi.

Steph couldn't wait to leave, hurrying on outside right after signing some boring release forms. First item on her agenda was to look up at the Alaska sky, raise her arms and give a loud shout.

"Free at last, Lord, free at last!"

She didn't care who heard her either. Most of all she just wanted to get back to the motel and see her two friends, Louis and Ava. They must be really worried about her. But before that, she had one other person to check up on. Kat. She had already heard Kat also was not charged with anything so that wasn't going to be an issue. But Kat would need a ride home. Come to think of it, she too would need a ride back to the motel.

Normally she could call a cab but her phone was lost. At the rave where it fell on the floor. Oh well, she could always get another phone.

@Bongo@Stormwolfe@Longshot

"There she is!"  Kat glanced at Officer Cooper, grinning and shaking her head as Steph shouted about her freedom.  "I'm gonna see if she needs a ride or anything." 

Pushing out the door, she trotted up to Steph, giving the girl a quick hug.  "Good to see you beat the rap!" she declared with a grin.  "Me, too!  Fools!"  She laughed, then commented, "I have a ride home, if you're ready.  I won't even make you do chores, you can just sit on the porch and sip tea or something."

@Wayfarer; @Flip

large_kent.png.2407113b412c6156511c1faf991b8481.png

"By all means, Miss Mercer." Officer Cooper stated as he watched her push through the door to get to her jubilant friend.

Stephanie spun about at the familiar voice. Kat and looking chipper (that was a word her dad used to like to use).

"Oh hey, proof the justice system works, right?" Steph was hardly that optimistic but it had this time.

She also now got a ride offer. There was just one flaw though.

"Thanks for the offer but.....I really really wanna get back to the motel and see my friends, Louis and Ava. They must be all worried....if for no other reason that I'm paying for the room and I paid for them to get to this place and would need to pay for them to go back home again too," she explained.

"And....before you say anything, yes, I AM capable of having friends," she grinned.

@Bongo@Flip

"Oh hey, proof the justice system works, right?"

"Well, yeah,  guess so..." Kat grinned, "until they change their minds!"  Not that she thought that would happen, but Kat knew that she'd be on edge the next couple of weeks, expecting someone to call and bring her back in.

"Anyway, if you don't have a place to go..."

"Thanks for the offer but.....I really really wanna get back to the motel and see my friends, Louis and Ava. They must be all worried....if for no other reason that I'm paying for the room and I paid for them to get to this place and would need to pay for them to go back home again too," she explained.

"Oh, sure, all right."  That made sense, except...

"And....before you say anything, yes, I AM capable of having friends," she grinned.

"Hey, I didn't say anything!"  Kat laughed, but then hesitated.  "So, you think it's safe?  I mean, wasn't all this about someone trying to hurt you?  Maybe you should talk to Lucian first?"  After all, what was the point of 'saving' her the night before just to let her loose alone again?

"Safe? Well, it was til all this shit went down. Now it's gonna be a newspaper article and whatever passes for local TV around here. That will alert the paparazzi and plus I think the authorities probably contacted my family ergo Unky Mason.  So I won't be able to stay much longer," Steph fully admitted.

"But right now I need to let my friends know I'm OK and get them taken care of.  I mean in case they wanna head back home. Their families are actually pretty decent...mostly," she added.

"Lucian's sister is getting them released now I would guess, she's some hot shot lawyer type."

@Bongo@Flip  Open

Posted (edited)

Lucian stepped out of the building and rolled his shoulders to loosen the tension that had built up in them. The end result of this misadventure had gone in their favor, which was a minor miracle. Surprisingly, Reagan had not read him and J.D. the riot act...yet. The only thing that concerned him was how the cops had found out about Miss Stroud's concerns over her uncle. Did his father know more than he had shared with them? If so, he was going to have words with Liam over holding back vital information.

Spotting Stephanie and Kat, Lucian headed in their direction. He nodded and gave a polite smile, "Miss Stroud, Kat," he acknowledged both young women. "I owe you both an apology for all of this," Lucian gestured at the police department. "Kat, I owe you a debt of gratitude for helping us."

"Reagan will be out shortly to take us to your ranch to pick up our vehicle. Would you ladies like a ride?"

J.D. stood behind Lucian with his hands stuffed into his pockets. This had hardly been the way he wanted to spend his first day back home in several years. He eye-rolled a bit as his brother suddenly became the smooth one as always. He nodded helpfully and gave a tight smile at the ladies to back up what Lucian was saying.

Tags: @Bongo  @Wayfarer

Edited by Longshot (see edit history)

large_kent.png.2407113b412c6156511c1faf991b8481.png

Officer Kent Cooper simply stood watching. He was about to say something pertaining to the lack of television reporters or camera when the former U.S. Marshal, Lucian MacLeod walked past him and began conversing with those outside. At that moment Lieutenant Dryer walked up.

"Hard to fathom,  retired US Marshal involved with a mess like this?" Rick  said in a low voice as they both looked on.

"It is." Cooper replied. "I mean it just doesn't ad up does it. The man has just about everything and ends up in here,"

"I mean to talk to him, and soon. I've head of cops going bad, but, after retirement, with all he has." Rick  wondered aloud. "Chief thinks there's more to this. We'll see."

Cooper smiled, studying the group. "We will."

"I don't mind," Kat commented with a shrug when Lucian apologized, "I'm glad I could help...really, Steph, you're welcome any time."  Then she frowned.  "But if they find out you're here..." she looked around for cameras, glad to not see any, "if no one knows about me," she commented to Lucian, "if she needs a place to hide, no one will take a second look at the help on a dude ranch, right?  Get her out of those pretty clothes and all that make up..."

It was a suggestion, anyway.  Then she added, "I think officer Cooper was going to give me a ride home, but yeah, I guess you guys need to get out there too, to get your car."   She shrugged.  "Whatever works, I'm easy."  She was famished and had a lot to do, now that her routine had been interrupted, and she wanted to find some time to just ride.

@Wayfarer; @Stormwolfe; @Flip; @Longshot

Posted (edited)

Kat and Steph's conversation paused as they were then joined by her not-kidnappers now employees. Lucian didn't waste any time launching into an apology, not just to her but Kat too. Steph let the other woman reply first, while she just stood there taking in the sight of the two men looking fairly uncomfortable despite their best efforts to remain cool. She wasn't going to be vindictive. Oh, she was very vindictive about a lot of things in her life but she'd already decided they weren't her enemies, she had enough of those already. Well....OK, except for one little matter. When Kat finished......

"Apology accepted, Lucian sweetie," Steph smiled cloyly then her eyes went to the other brother, "Now I'd like to hear it from you, dude. A nice sincere apology  - that is if you even can get it out of your craw."

J.D. blinked for a moment as he caught up with the conversation. He stared at the girl, then his eyes went to Lucian and then Kat then back to Stephanie. "Excuse me...a what?..." He straightened and his eyes narrowed. "You seriously want me to apologize for spending the night in jail because of You??..." J.D.'s gaze rotated back around to Lucian. "You better have something to say about this..."

"Yes, I seriously do. You did not end up in jail because of me. I was dancing at the rave, didn't even know you from Adam, and having a good time and you and your brother took me against my will. You waved around that big ass gun of yours and for all I knew you were going to use it. None of that was my fault, dude," Steph countered with a glare.

"And don't look to your brother. He already did the right thing and apologized. Now be a gentleman," she crossed her arms and waited.

Tags @Stormwolfe@Wayfarer@Bongo@Longshot@Flip

Edited by Wayfarer (see edit history)

Lucian grinned and jabbed J.D. gently in the ribs, "Go on, J. We had a hand in this fiasco. Besides, we need to sit down and talk without hostile interactions." As usual, his voice was mild and reasonable. "We need to figure out what our father knows that made him warn us not to contact Stephanie's uncle, how the police had all the information they had, and what the next steps are. We are also going to need Reagan's help to keep her on the island and safe for now."

@Longshot @Wayfarer

Posted (edited)

J.D. sputtered, staring at Stephanie, then composed himself with obvious effort. "I...apologize..." He managed to grind out past clenched teeth, "...I hope that's enough for you."

Steph could not help it, she laughed out loud. You'd have thought he had just had all his fingernails pulled out to elicit that little admission. Pig-headed man that he was. Still.......Steph was not going to be vindictive.

"Alright dude, that was so totally unconvincing but I guess I'll take it," she shrugged.

J.D. jammed his hands into his pockets and muttered something but it was pretty much inaudible to everyone as he looked down at his feet.

Suddenly she stepped forward and gave him a quick peck on his cheek just above the beard, "You'n me are buddies now."

J.D. blinked as his face flushed red from neck to hair. "Buddies? Now we're buddies?..." J.D. turned to Lucian. "This is totally your fault."

With a Cheshire Cat grin she turned to the others, "OK, should we go now or we do all want to hold hands and sing Kumbaya or whatever that fuckin' song is called?"

@Wayfarer@Stormwolfe

Edited by Longshot (see edit history)

Reagan stood off to the side, listening to the others. She could not help a snort of amusement at J.D.'s reaction to being told to apologize. It had seemed almost painful for her younger brother to utter those few words. He was so much like their father. Come to think of it, so was she. Reagan hated being wrong and hated admitting it even more. Lucian, on the other hand, was almost always calm, quiet, gracious, and sneaky. She was pretty sure he was adopted no matter what their mother said.

"I have an SUV. We can save Officer Cooper a trip," Reagan said affably. "We can pick up Lucian's vehicle, see everyone sorted and out of harm's way."

@Wayfarer  @Bongo  @Longshot

"I'm game."  Kat shrugged.  She didn't care, whatever got her home, she was tired and famished and still had a lot to do, and now that the excitement had died down her energy was draining along with it...